Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Day 7 - Easter 2007

How fitting it is to be starting a new painting today, a new beginning. I spent time this morning reflecting on life, on painting, the direction that I want to take with my work. Pursuing visual art is becoming more rewarding for me as time passes but does still challenge me in many ways. I've come here with a goal to push myself out of my comfort zone and I'm certainly doing that. I have to remind myself often of my goal, as it is easy to fall back into familiar patterns. Something as simple as the question: "What do you plan to do with an 8' X 3' painting?" can cause me to doubt what I'm doing.

By late afternoon my canvas was looking very colourful and my arms had had another tough day so I decided to give them a break and let my legs do some work. Anthony who is a still life painter has been to the VCCA before and is familiar with the many trails at Sweet Briar College. We went for a run on the campus along a lovely country road, which started at the old train station, overlooked beautiful and lush green rolling hills, took us past the college equestrian center and the visual arts buildings. Around every corner there was a scene waiting to be painted and a hill to pant up. I returned to the residency feeling invigorated.

This evening we loaded into cars and went back to the college by caravan for Easter dinner. Upon returning a few of us gathered in the living room with some bottles of wine and had a lovely evening. I called my parents' home where everyone was gathered and I was able to chat with my family. It was odd to be away from them on Easter but nice to be here in this vibrant community.

No comments:

Post a Comment