Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The returnee fellows whom I met in ’07 were absolutely right on. As I entered the gate to VCCA yesterday I felt like I was returning home.

My trip here was grueling and sleepless, leaving Vancouver airport at 7:04 pm on the 7th, flying to San Fran, then to Charlotte, North Carolina and from there to Lynchburg, Virginia. I took the taxi to the residence in Amherst and arrived at 11:30 am on the 8th just in time to walk to the studio barn for lunch.

Even though I’ve been feeling a little shell-shocked I managed to unpack, set up my studio and prep my surfaces. I’m in V8, a lovely space looking out into the yard behind the studio barn. I have soft natural light all day until late afternoon when the sun casts a golden glow through the windows. The weather is quite warm and humid with a few showers today which I really enjoyed as the raindrops were warm. I found a cure for jetlag today when I joined 6 other fellows for a swim in the lake at Sweet Briar College. I was in my element and returned feeling blissful and energized at the same time. After a great dinner I was able to return to my studio enjoying the sunset as I approached the barn. My return to the residence was slow paced as I breathed in the warm country air that was vibrating with the sound of crickets, cicadas and other night creatures. It is so easy to be inspired here!

No comments:

Post a Comment