Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Resurfacing


I packed away my Vancouver studio in June and left for southwest France mid-July loaded with art supplies and good intentions. I was heading to Moulin à Nef in Auvillar to act as Resident Director of an idyllic artist residence owned by the Virginia Center for Creative Arts. I was eager to put my various artistic and administrative skills to use and looked forward to painting in the French countryside. I imagined returning to Vancouver with "The French Collection - Paintings of Southwest France".

Approximately 15 years ago, while in Nanaimo as Arts & Crafts Coordinator of a French Children's Festival I visited a tea house and had my tea leaves read. Sitting here on the terrace I'm remembering part of what revealed itself in the leaves: you expect everything to happen quickly, you put a lot of pressure on yourself.

Here I am resurfacing 2 1/2 months after my arrival in Auvillar. I have only a few paintings on my studio walls, some sketches and a fair amount of confusion as to what I want to be creating. Change is most certainly around the corner!

2 comments:

  1. You could do a painting of those cool purple shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cheryl,
    Great to hear from you, and now to see that cool picture of you in front of a beautiful wall/door, looking relaxed and right at home...I know, I know, it's going to take some time to get back into painting mode, but just begin (didn't Goethe say that?) and it will start to flow.
    I'll alert the critique group to read your blog - we are all so envious! And how is John enjoying the experience?

    ReplyDelete